– So, why bother homeschooling anyway?
– Oh, I just don’t want my kids to turn out like all those other kids.
– In what way?
– Well, I don’t want them to grow up in a wolf pack, succumb to comparisons, conformity, get educated by their peers. I don’t want them drinking and dating at twelve, spending all their time staring at their phones and facebook, hanging out at malls and gossiping.
– What’s wrong with that?
– What do you mean what’s wrong with that?
– Well, if that makes them happy.
Bingo! The main reason you are homeschooling is because you want your kids to be happy. Yes, smart, successful, well-educated, socially astute, but mainly and overwhelmingly happy. That’s the worthy cause for which you are ready and willing to lay down your own life.
And one becomes happy by practicing… rhetorical pause… Virtue!
So what is the main subject of homeschool?
There are seven main subdivisions to it, there are also many lesser ones.
So you are not teaching math or music or writing arts, you are teaching perseverance, patience, respect and love. Music, math and writing are only the manipulatives you have on hand to teach the main subject of virtue.
And lastly, you and your kids are teaching each other.
Hopefully, you yourself are not flanking.
I sure am.